Friday, February 11, 2011

Suzuki Piano


I want to make good citizens. If a child hears fine music from the day of his birth and learns to play it himself, he develops sensitivity, discipline and endurance. He gets a beautiful heart.
—Shin'ichi Suzuki


Much to my joy, Paige, Laura, and Emma have decided to return to piano:-) Jennifer, our wonderful strings teacher, will be teaching them using the Suzuki method. I'm so excited that I'll be learning too -- Emma and I are going to take lessons together! I dropped by the music store today to pick up the books and CDs. Being a beginner and largely self-taught, I've developed the method of scrutinizing the score and then simply trying to plunk out the notes in correct sequence with little regard to tempo, phrasing, dynamics, or even rhythm. The Suzuki method emphasizes playing by ear rather than by "eye" and has some similarities with natural language acquisition, so I listened to one of the songs on the CD several times. It sounded quite different from my initial rendition and gave me a model to imitate. 'Thrilled to have this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment