Monday, September 26, 2011

FARBLUNGET!!!

Today was "FARBLUNGET" -- a Yiddish word for running around like a headless chicken. I recently bought a first edition of a book called The Flablunget Chronicles (I'm told by one of my friends that "farblunget" is more correct) at my UU church from one of our members, Zisa Moglen. Zisa shares a birthday with Laura, but she will be 70 on 11-11-11 (her Golden Birthday,) while Laura will only be 14. My "farblunget" day consisted of taking Laura and Emma into the Springs for a vocal techniques class and then fetching them (two one-hour round trips,) rushing back to get Paige to harp, taking Laura and Emma to the grocery store while Paige was at harp, fetching Paige, doing the paperwork to get Laura into Colorado Calvert Academy (she's in as an eighth grader) by 4 p.m., and taking Laura down to orchestra in the Springs and reading in the car for the 1.5 hours she was practicing. I came home and made dinner and am now doing some schoolwork with Emma (who is reading beside me.) I suppose it's important to remember that "Farblunget" does contain the letters F, U, and N ...

I've been reading some good books lately by the Finnish author Johanna Sinisalo -- Birdbrain and Troll -- A Love Story. They're both rather dark, but fascinating and unusual. Then I've just finished the most appalling novel by Robert Goddard, Name to a Face. Goddard is apparently very popular in the UK, but not so much out here. The number of surprising coincidences in the plot really stretched credulity.

I'm looking forward to the Calvert curriculum arriving for Laura. I've been going through the training for "learning guides," and it looks simple to use. I'm happy with the Waldorf materials Laura has been using, but I think this curriculum will keep her on track and prepare her better for high school.

Yesterday we had a wonderful experience at Serenity Springs Wildlife Center. Only Paige and Emma accompanied me, so I want to make another trip out there in a couple of weeks with Daniel and Laura. I'll post more about it tomorrow (which should be a less farblunget sort of day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment