Sunday, December 12, 2010

Human Rights Day

Last Friday, December 10, was Human Rights Day

I attended a service at my Unitarian Universalist church today and heard the following words that I liked so much I decided to repeat them here.

The first quote is from Liu Xiabo who won the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize:

"The greatness of non-violent resistance is that even as man is faced with forceful tyranny and the resulting suffering, the victim responds to hate with love, to prejudice with tolerance, to arrogance with humility, to humiliation with dignity, and to violence with reason."

The second is from Rainer Maria Rilke :

I live my life in growing rings
that move out over the things around me.
Perhaps I'll never complete the last,
But that's what I mean to try.

I'm circling around God, around the ancient tower,
and I've been circling for thousands of years;
and I still don't know:am I a falcon, a storm
or a great song?


No comments:

Post a Comment