Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Emma's Signing Day

Emma with Coach Paul
About to sign her letter of intent


Today was NLI (National Letter of Intent) signing day at Lewis Palmer High School, where Emma plays tennis. Emma signed a letter of intent stating that she intends to play tennis for Grinnell College, starting next fall. It was also the birthday of Emma's paternal grandfather, "Grandpa Bernie", which was fitting because he taught Emma to play tennis. 

Several of Emma's friends attended the ceremony, and one of them brought flowers. Emma's massage therapist, Jen, surprised us all by being there. Jen has worked with Emma for some years, and she relates well to Emma's high school tennis experience as she has a daughter, currently playing soccer at a Div. 1 school, who is a few years older than Emma. She commented that she cannot believe she is talking to a 17-year-old when she meets with Emma, who she feels is far beyond her years in many ways. Jen sees her as a friend and peer. Emma has as many adult friends as teenaged ones. 

I guess I need to update my paradigms once again. My "little one" is almost an adult (or "a dolt", as my kids used to say). I have to stop calling her "SmallEm", which is one of her childhood nicknames. I know I tend to baby her. When she complains, I sometimes respond tongue-in-cheek, "Well, it's your own fault for being the youngest! How many times do I have to tell you?" The recalibration of our relationship as she has grown has been a little complicated. Mourning the loss of the adored child and the compulsion to "parent" sometimes get in the way of embracing the emerging adult. I need to make a conscious choice to accept her as an adult. She handles life with such confidence, competence, and poise that she deserves that acknowledgment. 




No comments:

Post a Comment