Monday, March 5, 2018

The "TTLA" and Fast Food

A hot new fast food is the TTLA sandwich, a vegan twist on the classic BLT, from Whole Foods. It comprises tempeh bacon (Whole Foods uses Lightlife Organic Fakin' Bacon tempeh strips), tomato, lettuce, avocado, and garlic aioli on a toasted ciabatta roll. These sandwiches are so popular that Whole Foods outlets have been running out of some of the ingredients, particularly tempeh. I found a copycat TTLA recipe and made one earlier today. I thought it was very good, although I found the tempeh bacon a little overwhelming; I think I'd have preferred it with the more subtly flavored Morning Star Veggie Bacon Strips, lightly crisped with perhaps a smudge of BBQ sauce. Also, I think it was improved by a little red onion.

Laura and I schlepped 30 minutes down to the Springs last Sunday to get vegan burgers, chicken strips, and fries from a drive through grill. We waited in a line of cars for 40 minutes to get some very mediocre food. The fries and chicken strips were deep-fried and slick with grease. The burgers were dry, and there was about a square inch of lettuce and tomato on each. For anyone feeling entrepreneurial, a vegan fast food restaurant in the Springs would probably do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment